Thursday, July 11, 2019

Considerations When Teaching Children to Read

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that reading does not come naturally to children.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that if I do not support a child to learn how to read correctly then this will lead to reading dysfunctions and learning dysfunctions.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to take for granted how complex reading actually is, and not realize that things that seem obvious as a parent, are not obvious to a child, for example - that in English we read words and sentences from left to right - a child does not know this, and if they are not supported effectively and this is explained and tested to make sure the child understands, this this could lead to major difficulties in reading, learning, and cause problems later in life, particularly a low self-esteem.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that just teaching a child phonics is good enough when there are many examples where phonics falls short and does not work, for example, the word: ocean. And there are many inconsistencies in how we pronounce diphthongs, for example, look at the words: book and loop. The oo is said 2 different ways. Thus we have to be very careful what we teach our children because when they are in the natural learning phase, if this is not directed effectively, it will not form a stable foundation, because every time a child is certain they know something, but it is in fact incorrect but the child cannot understand why, they begin to believe that either the world makes little sense or there is something wrong with them.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize the amount of focus and patience required to support a child to learn to read.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that parroting words that the child is told is the same as reading, but if I don't test and make absolutely sure, then the child is actually developing coping mechanisms and not a direct, effective information processing ability - and if a child does not have constant, one on one support, this is unlikely to be done effectively.

I commit myself to show that anyone with an understanding of the natural learning ability of a child who is patient, consistent, and stable, using TechnoTutor, can support a child to learn to read in a more effective way than any other approach that is available and that this in in fact the BEST approach to teaching a child to read and to build the foundation for all future learning in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment